Conner Toll House
Taft Highway at W. Fairmont & Anderson Pike James C. Conner, the first sheriff of Hamilton County, built the Toll House in 1858. His family operated a tollgate on Anderson Pike until the 1880's. The tollhouse is believed to be the oldest structure on Walden's Ridge and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Walden's Ridge Historical Association restored the house in 1976. It is open by appointment
Depending on how you look at it, the Cumberland Trail begins or ends at Signal Point. The southernmost point of the trail extends along Walden's Ridge to Rainbow Lake and on to Edwards Point. The trail then crosses Suck Creek and enters Prentice Cooper National Forest. The trail is well-marked and opened to hikers year around.
Signal Mountain Blvd. at traffic light
Located in James Park, this bronze plaque is a monument to Charles E. James who developed Signal Mountain and much of 20th century Chattanooga.
Glenway Avenue in Walden
This neighborhood park surrounds the springs named after E.H. Mabbitt. In 1883, Mabbitt created the Mabbitt Springs subdivision in the heart of Summertown. Seeking relief from the heat and various epidemics, wealthy Chattanoogans and others built rustic homes around the spring. The Chalybeate water is famous for it's health-giving powers. The spring and surrounding gorge is a popular place for hikes and picnics.
Signal Mountain Golf and Country Club
809 James Boulevard
Though now private and open only to members, the golf course once belonged to the Signal Mountain Inn with the clubhouse serving as a dance pavilion and casino. Prior to settlement of the town, the golf course was used for summer grazing by cattle driven up the mountain from the Chattanooga valley. A park, playground, ball fields, and tennis courts behind the Club are open to the public. The park is the location of the popular Fourth of July and Labor Day picnics sponsored by the Lion's Club.
Signal Mountain Inn
100 James Blvd.
Named after nearby Signal Point, Charles E. James built the inn in 1911. James built a streetcar line to carry supplies to the mountain for construction of the inn. Although the line is no longer in existence, some of the tracks are still exposed in the roadbed of James Boulevard. Today the Inn serves as the headquarters of Alexian Village, a retirement community.
Signal Point Road
This U. S. National Park overlooks the famed "grand canyon" on the Tennessee River. The point received its name as a result of its use during the Civil War by the U.S. Army Signal Corps to relay messages to Cameron Hill and Lookout Mountain. In the fall of 1863, the Union Army was surrounded in Chattanooga and dependent upon a supply line that stretched across Walden's Ridge to Bridgeport, Alabama. All messages received from Cameron Hill were transported via courier across Walden's Ridge down through the Sequatchie Valley and onto Bridgeport.
Wilson Ave. between Key-Hulse Rd. & Parsons Lane
William Miles built this two-story log house in Summertown in 1883 for the David McKendree Key family. Mr. Key was Federal Judge of East Tennessee and postmaster general under President Hayes. Topside is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is now a private residence.
Union Chapel - the "Little Brown Church"
Ivory and Spring Avenues
Built in 1908, Union Chapel was established to serve the community of Summertown. Services are held at 10 AM every Sunday from the beginning of June to the Sunday before Labor Day.
The "W" Road
This road, which carries traffic up the eastern bluff of Walden's Ridge, is named for the three switchbacks that form the shape of a "W" at the top of the ridge. It was constructed in 1890 to replace the old "corduroy road" used by early settlers and by both armies during the Civil War.